Heartless // The Book That Destroyed Me

March 16, 2018


{ pics via pinterest }

Not many books do what Heartless did to me. *intense feelings to follow alert*

I dragged this book from place to place deliriously: in the car (even though it makes me sick and I haven't been that desperate for ages), onto the treadmill, classes, hallways waiting to be picked up, into the bathroom alternating doing my makeup while reading, in my room while I made my bed, to the kitchen whilst making breakfast. I simply could not stop reading.




And when I finished I have never felt the way I did... ever.
It felt as if someone was slowly piercing my heart with a sharp icy knife.
It hurt so badly I couldn't even cry.

And honestly (MAJOR SPOILER ALERT, highlight for my feeling dump) 
{The ending wasn't gory enough for me, I wanted to literally see Peter's head cut off his shoulders and I swear if I hadn't been in the gym I might have just shrieked out of the utter madness that consumed me. And also at that part when her parents said "we want you to be happy" right before she married the King, that's about when I started feeling like I lost my heart and I believe I may have just gone a bit mad alongside Catherine.}

For about three days I WAS CATH. Her joy was mine and so was her pain. I have never gotten into a character's shoes like I did with Catherine. 

Now get ready for a bunch of aesthetics and the review of a fangirl gone mad

This post should be a crazy wonderland.
 ( I can't stop it with the puns, sorry not sorry xD)




“When pleased, I beat like a drum. When sad, I break like glass. Once stolen, I can never be taken back. What am I?”
Marissa Meyer, Heartless 

 “To be all right implies an impossible phase. We hope for mostly right on the best of our days.”
Marissa Meyer, Heartless

  “His eyes were the colour of gold, of sunflowers and butterscotch and lemons hanging heavy on their boughs - Jest”
Marissa Meyer, Heartless
 
“This was why she enjoyed baking. A good dessert could make her feel like she'd created joy at the tips of her fingers. Suddenly, the people around the table were no longer strangers. They were friends and confidantes, and she was sharing with them her magic.”
Marissa Meyer, Heartless




 Madness Lives Here

lemon tarts / roses / luscious food / 
 raven / riddles / intrigue / balls /

weird creatures / hatter / festivals

secrets / giggling king / pile of cards

controlling mother / royalty/ dreams

expectations / march hare / well

look glass / chess / magic

maze / chesire cat / pumpkin patch

tea parties / stories / creepy fates






I Loved & Didn't
 
 - the realism of a court environment yes it was deeply annoying sometimes seeing how they act and how Catherine had to act back but it's realistic and I can relate to it.

- FOOD, oh my spades and hearts this book is a wonderland for all the foodies. Food is described in such painstaking detail that I literally got hungry when I didn't have food around. So much for not looking like a walrus. :P


- Marchioness Pinkerton drove me insane, I absolutely hated her. She is the example of what no mother should be. But stylistically speaking she was a necessary and well done character. This sort of links to societal norms and even though a lot of people are complaining about how this book is sexist and mysoginist and complain that Cath didn't stand up to her mother, I say "honey those times existed and people had to live through them however best they could and yes we humans like to please and our families matter to us." End rant.

- The hints and spatters of madness throughout conversations, this book was flavorful and it definitely gave off a strong Alice in Wonderland vibe. As someone who hated the book (it was a complicated love mostly hate situation) (Alice in Wonderland), I do recommend you read Heartless...it infuses a lot of humanity and sense into the confusing madness so to speak. It puts the puzzle pieces together.



- the romance. the mission. his intense care. it shattered me. it made my heart stop a few times. enough said.

- the king was the most ridiculous hilarious annoying character ever. Well done Marissa, also to all of you who call his love for Cath unrealistic, I've known a multiple people who are about as un-understandble in their undying affections as the King of Hearts.



- I'm gonna try not to put any spoilers in here but you mayyy want to skip over this one. >> the insanity of the well girls, drawings & rhymes inserted a dark splash that I really liked, Meyers balances her story telling elements so well it's almost insane. Also the "off with it's head" explanation, the way she just built that up was AMAZING. I actually think I don't hate Alice in Wonderland anymore just because of this book.

- The characters, the entire content of this book was splashed with the brightest most complex shades. The animals, the cards, the humans...whatever all the creatures were they were all incredible. Also I do have so much more respect for the Mad Hatter and I now understand the pig child and the crazy peppery cook.

- JEST AND THE ROMANCE IS BASICALLY THE MAIN REASON WHY I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH, get ready for a heartbreaking aesthetic at the end of this post.



Well what else can I say?

You are all invited to the court of Hearts where I sue Marissa Meyer for stealing my heart.
Witnesses and Fellow victims are highly welcome.







Has Heartless spoiled you too? Or are you exempt from the ranks of us? If so it may be time to join...
Are you writing something currently? Are you going to do Camp Nano this April? Talk to me! :)

 

You Might Also Like

27 comments

  1. *SCREAMS* *SOBS* *SHOOTS MY COPY OF HEARTLESS A SIDELONG, TEAR-FILLED GLANCE*

    This review is amazing!!! It makes to re-read the beautiful, painful work of art that is Heartless. I ALMOST CRIED. I WAS SOOOOOO CLOSE TO CRYING, OH MY WORD. *curls into fetal position*

    And these aesthetics. I. Have. No. Words. THEY ARE PERFECTION. (especially the last one <3 <3 *places hand on heart* *sniffles*)

    LOVE THIS REVIEW!!!

    Lila @ The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH THIS COMMENT!!! <3333 MY HEART. LILA THIS WHOLE COMMENT IS REVERBERATING WITH HOW I FEEL AND AHH YOU GET ME. GOOD. I"M NOT THE ONLY CRAZY ONE HERE. *hugs and lemon tarts for support*

      The aesthetics are what a mad fangirl did to try to cure her heartache (but actually just intensified it) xxx I LOVE YOUR COMMENT xxx

      Delete
  2. I have never read Heartless, but it seems interesting. (I love your collages by the way.)
    Also I am super excited for Camp NaNo this April!:) Are you going to do it this month?
    This was a lovely review, Anna!:) I really enjoyed reading it.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing! And thank you so much Quinley that is so sweet of you :). Yes hopefully I am going to do camp nano! Maybe we will be in the same cabin again???

      Thank you so much! ^.^ i'm glad you liked it. <3

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, and it would be awesome if we were in the same cabin again!:)
      -Quinley

      Delete
  3. AHHHHH, YES YOU KNOW OUR PAIN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

    The aesthetics were AMAZING in this post!! *flails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM IN YOUR RANKS NOW MY FELLOW HEARTLESS <3333

      Eek! Thank you Gray ^.^

      Delete
  4. HEARTLESS BROKE MY HEART!!! I feel the same way you do. You just described my feelings in the most aesthetic way possible. These aesthetics are on fire. I never know how to find amazing pictures like this. I need a pinterest account. I'm able to use pinterest without an account, but it just isn't the same.

    This book is my favorite one from Marissa Meyer, maybe even more than Scarlet. Cath and Jest and the whole setting was freaking amazing.

    I GETTING ALL THE EMOTIONS AGAIN!! *sobs forever*

    ~Ivie| Ivie Writes

    ReplyDelete
  5. *nods* Heartless shattered me too. I hate to disagree *cough* but it actually started so. slow. for me, and only got better and more interesting after the first 100 pages. And I never really felt for Jest until after the spoiler about why he was flirting with Cath. I mean I was like, "Errr more insta-love, what next?" *cough* the end really redeemed it. I still love Lunar Chronicles more (sorry Ivie lol) but this was masterfully done, yep. Glad you loved it so much :DD And anything retold really begs for respect. And I did like Alice in Wonderland myself :DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOUR AESTHETICS THOUGH HOW ARE YOU SO GOOD HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU WASTE EVERYDAY HMM??

      Delete
    2. Lol, don't apologize. We all have different tastes. :) AND SERIOUSLY, SHE'S SO GOOD WITH AESTHETICS!! Did you see the collage she made for me on my blog? It's for Fighting Back. (Official title reveal coming soon, btw.)

      Delete
    3. IVIE STAHP PROMOTING ME xDDD <3333 (but you know I'm secretly just flailing back here because I'm so happy you like my aesthetics)

      AND HAHA...you have NO idea how much time I waste on aesthetics but it's kind of an art form you know? Like probably my favorite kind bcsitseasyonmybrain hehe :P << #excuses #imlazy

      I also don't blame you for the slow opinion, if I didn't get so emotionally invested into Cath's dilemma I would have probably had the exact same issue.

      Alice in Wonderland was pretty cool! I was just never a big fan of all the weird dialogue and happenings, it really gave me a headache. But it did intrigue me enough that I read it about 3 times.

      Delete
  6. I've been staying out of the ranks just because of the emotional toll that Heartless has been taking on all of my friends!!!! As much as my friends keep pressuring me, I value my emotional stability very much. Sowwy girls.

    Anyways, I'm continuing on the White Rose for Camp NaNo this year. I just got into the Fellowship again, I can't wait for April to begin!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't blame you, I'm only recovering now because i've been stuffing my nose into other books.

      That's awesome! April Nano should be a blast. I'm gonna to try a different cabin this month maybe, but I should hurry before all my friends are drafted away :0

      Delete
  7. YES I UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN!!!! AFTER I FINISHED, I WENT AND CRIED IN THE BATHROOM FOR 20 MIN

    I kind of want to re-read it again, but I don't really want to put myself through the pain again......

    THOSE AESTHETICS THOUGH. I WISH I COULD MAKE THEM THAT PRETTY!!!

    Lilah
    lilahsmusicals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LILAH I FEEL YOUR PAIN <333 100%. You have no idea how emotionally distraught I was when I finished. I was so lost and as I said I felt PHYSICALLY hurt.

      Phew, I don't blame you. That book is a rollercoaster.

      AHH THANK YOU!!! I had so much fun making them! And a lot of the pictures I found are out of pure luck ;) it's so hard to find the perfect pic sometimes.

      Delete
  8. I AM GOING TO READ THIS BOOK. NEED I SAY MORE?? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE MY INSTANT FRIEND. I WILL BE WAITING HERE AS YOUR EMOTIONAL SUPPORT WHEN YOU FINISH XD <3

      Delete
  9. I've heard so many good, good things about this book and it's on my TBR list for sure now! Thank you for your flailings and rants and raves - can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I can't wait for you to check it out Kara!!! xxx I really hope you like it! And as I said above, I am here for ravings and as emotional support should you get as shattered as I did :D

      Delete
  10. I FREAKING LOVE THE AESTHETICS IN THIS ENTIRE POST I CAN'T. AND ALSO *cut throat* AGH. Yes, this book has absolutely scarred me. It's ruined my life from page one and I love it. Literally, when my friend and I went to meet Marissa Meyer (the Queen of All Things Wonderful and Magical and Tragic), we walked up to her and said, as dramatically as we could, "Marissa Meyer, you've ruined our lives! -- but in the best way possible." And she replied with, "Oh no! You must have read Heartless!!" It was awesome and sad but great and I need to reread this book and kill myself all over again. ALL THE FEELS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH THANK YOU SOO MUCH JASMINE!

      Same girl same. SERIOUSLY!? You met the queen, that's awesome what you and your friend did! I KNOW, I CAN"T EVEN WITH THIS BOOK"S FEELS. Thank you so much for commenting <3 fangirls unite <3

      Delete
  11. These aesthetics are so pretty! (And a perfect fit for the book!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was pretty good! Personally, for me the romance was my least favorite part, and the descpritions are my favorite, but I agree with everything else you say! Oh my word, girl, those aesthetics are GORGEOUS and they seriously make me want to read it all over again even though I just finished it 10 minutes ago!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for your comments, they always make my day. I allow anonymous users to comment on my blog, but any crass, profane, pointless criticism and mean comments will be deleted. Remember to check back or click notify because I reply to all of my comments!
Have a Blessed day <3

My Pinterest

Let's Be Friends

Name

Email *

Message *

Subscribe